Resolutions for Travel in the New Year
Rick Steves: On what he wants to do more of in 2010, from taking photos to embracing technology
01.04.10 | 11:12 AM ET
OK travelers, it’s time for New Year’s resolutions. In 2010, in my travels I will strive to maximize the experience these ways:
- In small towns, villages, and rural settings, take my last glass of wine away from the restaurant and enjoy it in the elements under the stars—in whichever corner of Europe I’m enjoying.
- Stretch 10 minutes a day so all my exercise will feel good rather than just tighten me up.
- Eat at the counter in market eateries to season the meal with all that local action.
- Order more adventurously to delve more deeply into regional cuisine and treats of the season.
- Drink more—and work less—late at night.
- Take time to talk with more people—both locals and tourists.
- Refuse to let small-minded victims of 24/7 news shrink my worldview.
- Buy clothes on the road and wear them.
- Take more photos with my tripod.
- Make music a bigger part of my travels.
- Embrace technology more vigorously in the interest of using my time more wisely, capturing experiences, and then amplifying tales of the fun I’ve had—and the lessons I’ve learned—to others.
Please share your resolutions so we can all enjoy happier and more rewarding travels in the New Year. And best wishes to all in 2010.