World Hum Contributors in the World: The ‘What Did We Miss?’ Edition
Travel Blog • Eva Holland • 06.27.11 | 4:28 PM ET
While we went quiet over the last few months, World Hum’s many fine contributors stayed busy. Books were published, accolades were awarded. In no particular order, here’s a taste of what they’ve been up to:
- Falcon Guides published Ben Keene‘s Best Hikes Near New York City.
- Tony Perrottet‘s latest, The Sinner’s Grand Tour, hit bookstores in May.
- Wanderlust, by Elisabeth Eaves, was published just two weeks ago—more on that coming soon.
- Bill Belleville‘s latest, Salvaging the Real Florida: Lost and Found in the State of Dreams, came out in April.
- Sophia Dembling got a deal for a book about introversion, to be published in fall 2012. She wrote our wildly popular Confessions of an Introverted Traveler.
- David Farley was named a contributing editor at AFAR in March.
- Abbie Kozolchyk‘s World Hum story, Jersey Girl, was featured in The Best Women’s Travel Writing 2011, as was Nancy Kline’s Missing Paris.
- Alexander Basek launched Fortnighter.
- Joanna Kakissis received the Knight Luce Fellowship for Reporting on Global Religion.
- Pam Mandel joined the faculty of the Book Passage Travel, Food, and Photography Conference.
- Rob Verger was hired as a reporter at Newsweek and The Daily Beast.
- Sarah Menkedick landed an internship at Harper’s. She’ll be there throughout the summer.
- Lola Akinmade was named a photoblogger for Sweden’s official site, Sweden.se.
- Catherine Watson‘s World Hum story A Pilgrimage to Vailima won best travel article appearing on a travel-specific website in the SATW Central States Writing and Photography Contest, as well as the contest’s grand prize, the Henry & Vera Bradshaw Memorial Award.
- Michael Shapiro, David Farley, Peter Delevett, Erin Byrne and Lola Akinmade were all among the Solas Awards winners.
- Michael Yessis completed a draft of a comic thriller about sports, love and the power of Buffalo wings. Revisions are underway.
What else did we miss? Send us an email or let us know in the comments and we’ll add it to the list. Congrats everyone!