World Cup of Travel: Spain vs. The Netherlands

Travel Stories: The FIFA World Cup will be settled Sunday. We'll settle which country in the final is the best travel destination right now. Let's go to Robert Reid's chart.

07.09.10 | 11:58 AM ET

Robert Reid, the U.S. Travel Editor for Lonely Planet, lives in Brooklyn. He was the subject of a World Hum interview.

5 Comments for World Cup of Travel: Spain vs. The Netherlands

Monique 07.09.10 | 12:29 PM ET

Cute but the Netherlands is the place to go. Check out my website to see why. http://www.examiner.com/x-11133-Netherlands-Travel-and-Lifestyle-Examiner

Tim L. 07.09.10 | 4:34 PM ET

I’ve been running a series called “World Cup of Travel” for weeks now on the Cheapest Destinations blog, but I’ll let it slide since Robert’s looks much cooler with all the hand-written scribbles…

Happy Hotelier 07.09.10 | 5:36 PM ET

Lol
But I rather watch the actual match. Not that I’m such a soccer fan but along the way when the Dutch were winning and winning I became more of a fan.
As for the herring: Apparently you’ve never had a good herring with a good ice cold old Korenwijn…
Radar Love & Golden Earring are from The Hague - My city:-)
And Hey Mrs Woodenshoes we have to sit down together!
Happy

Chuck Kirchner 07.09.10 | 10:27 PM ET

I would only change one thing - accommodations.  The Paradors of Spain (aspecially the one in Arcos de Frontera) are THE best.  Spain wins 9-6 by my count.  (But both are great countries to visit!)

Robert Reid 07.12.10 | 6:32 AM ET

Thanks for the comments! I had expected the actual game to end in a 8-7 Spanish victory (the first-ever 15-goal final), but at least my margin was correct.

Meanwhile, I should add one more point for Spain. On nomenclaturatory clarity. Netherlands/Holland/Dutch/Hollish? I was always so confused. Spain is Spain, the Spanish are Spanish. They win there. But the Dutch do have a cooler capital name, and with the dignified article (‘The’) to start it.